So, what is neem oil
and how could it benefit your eczema.
Firstly, neem oil is
made from the seeds of the neem tree. The neem tree is found in
That is why neem seed oil is used a lot in ayurveda medicine.
Ayurveda is a type of
traditional and alternative medicine used in India.
It is used to
help with many different conditions.
Neem Oil Benefits
Neem oil has alot of
great properties that could be beneficial to eczema.
- Anti-inflammatory. As a
natural anti inflammatory, neem oil can help reduce the symptoms of
your eczema. Lessening any redness and soreness of your skin
- Antibacterial. It can
help to make the chance of getting a bacterial infection. Especially
the Staphylococcus aureus infection, which can be a problem for your
- Antipruritic. Can help
with the itching. Reducing skin damage and helping you to having a
good night's sleep
- Analgesic. It can aid
in relieving any pain that comes from your eczema. When your skin is
cracked and damaged it can be very sore. It helps to ease the
Neem oil is also a good source of essential fatty oils and vitamin E.
This can help
with the management of your eczema as they are both great at helping
to keep your skin moisturised.
This can help reduce the chance of
your skin cracking and any further damage occurring. They can also
help to heal the skin.
What is Neem Oil's Uses
There are a few different neem oil uses. They can all be helpful in the management of your eczema.
- On the skin. Neem oil is pretty strong. It is recommended that it isn’t used directly on the skin. You can either
- mix it with another oil
- mix some in with some of your favourite moisturiser
- make it into a 'tea', and when cooled apply it to the affected area
- In the bath. You can add some to your bath. Make sure the water is warm, not hot, and soak in it for no longer than 20 minutes. After you get out of the bath you can apply the mixture of oil with a moisturiser onto your skin. This helps to keep the moisture in your skin, preventing dryness
- Neem oil products. There are many products that can be brought or home-made, that contain neem oil. If you make them yourself you know what ingredients have been used. You can make sure that it is totally natural. If you buy a product already made, check the ingredients used.
Some of the products you can buy include
When you purchase any
products, you should make sure that they are especially made for
Neem oil is used to
help with many ailments, and different strengths are used for
different conditions. You don’t want to use one that is too strong,
as it may do more harm than good to your skin.
Neem oil is a great
natural treatment that could be worth trying if you are looking for
an alternative way to help manage your eczema. One word of warning, the smell of neem oil can be very potent, so be prepared!
As with any natural
treatment, it can help you to manage your eczema. Though it is best
used in conjunction with conventional treatment, like emollients and
topical steroids, especially when first using it and when you get a
Return from What is Neem Oil to Eczema Treatments
Return from What is Neem Oil to What is Eczema
Return to top of page